Monday, June 09, 2008

My video on Global Warming







The 2004 Onondaga County Music Educator's Association's All-County Music Festival presented the song "Whose Garden Was This?" My son was in the festival chorus you'll hear in the video I've created. I was struck not only by the beauty of the song, but by the message itself.

Songwriter Tom Paxton reminds us that there are countless ways in which we take nature for granted...and soon, if we continue to ignore the warning signs of climate change, it may be too late.


Lyrics:

Whose garden was this?
It must have been lovely.
Did it have flowers?
I've seen pictures of flowers,
And I'd love to have smelled one.

Whose river was this?
You say it ran freely?
Blue was its color?
I've seen blue in some pictures,
And I'd love to have been there!

Chorus: Ah, tell me again; I need to know. The forest had trees; the meadows were green, The oceans were blue, and birds really flew. Can you swear that was true?

Whose grey sky was this?
Or was it a blue one?
Nights there were breezes?
I've heard records of breezes,
And you tell me you've felt one?



Please listen to Jeremy Symons, Executive Director of the Global Warming Campaign for the National Wildlife Federation, speak to you about the first vote held on Global Warming in the U.S. Senate in three years. Unfortunately, even with all of the discussion about the perils of Global Warming, it's taken this long for the message to start getting through to our Senators. This week legislation was blocked, but the stage has been set for 2009 when we'll have a new President and key Democrats who will help to eventually pass legislation to protect our life on our planet and to protect our economy.

Let your Senators hear from you today.



0 comments: